Thursday, October 13, 2011

In need of a Woman's perspective


In the annoyingly exaggerated words of Paula Deen, "Hey Y'all." As many of you know, i have been sewing for a great many years. One of the things I enjoy building (man term for sewing) are quilts. There is something about the repetitive precision sewing that calms me. It really makes no difference whether i am sewing a scrappy quilt or paper piecing.
I have made quilts out of old Concert T-shirts, Men's Ties, I even made three quilt tops out of a mans entire collection of shirts he wore to make three quilts for his three sons after he passed away. As a point of fact, right now i'm making an "Ass Quilt". It's a scrappy quilt made from denim reclaimed from dead jeans. The colors range from a very pale blue all the way to black. I call it an "Ass Quilt" because everything you make should have a good story to go along with it. So my story for this one is that the quilt is made from the butt section of women's jeans. Okay, so it's a tasteless guy thing. If it makes you feel any better, just imagine the quilt is being made out of Sam Elliot or Sean Connery's jeans. See, now if you had the quilt, you could have your own story. Afterall, isn't that more fun than, it's just made of old jeans??
Okay, let me get to it. For about as long as i've been intimate with women, i've been fixing underwires. You know, those pesky little metal buggers that pop out of one side or the other just as soon as the new gets washed off. Hell i've probably seen more bras than Herminie Cadolle, but less than Heffner. So, here is the thing i need a Woman's Perspective on. I have been kicking this idea around a few years now for a bra quilt. Yes, a bra quilt. No, i'm not kidding. If you know me, you know this is just my kind of project. I have this vision of making a pair of them actually. One made with all Left cups and one all containing Right ones. Given the general two to three piece shape of the American cup, the pattern that would emerge would be something similar to overlapping fish scales. I'd like to make the top out of all sorts of colors and sizes with a big fat Susan G Komen Logo and donate one to them to be auctioned off or whatever they feel like they would like to do with it. The sister quilt, i'd keep and dispose of as i deem appropriate. This IS NOT something i would sell. The very thought makes me ill. My aim is to give something to the people chasing the cure for Breast Cancer and i'll either keep the sister or make a gift of it.
Now, what i need to know is; is this project in bad taste. If not, do i make it out of new bras or gently used ones? If i do go forward with this, is adding the Komen Logo a good idea or should i leave it out?? I have a hundred questions, but since i am a man i need your answers.
Again, let me make it clear. This is not a joke. I am just as serious about this as i was when i made the Prairie dress for the eight year old that wouldn't see nine, and the gown for the size 32 Bride (who looked beautiful btw).
I eagerly await your feedback and please, pass this on to other women so i can get as much feedback as possible.

Until next time, Peace be with you, Dave

12 comments:

  1. I think it is actually a grand idea :) It's a wonderfully clever way to reuse those old bras and give something to such a great cause :D Great plan unc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave, I think this is a marvelous idea! I would use gently used bras, and I would definitely use the Komen logo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While this is the first time I've visited your blog, it will definitely not the last! I'm crying as I write this (but everyone knows I'm a crybaby). I think you should use gently-used bras for the quilt and new pink bras for the ribbon. We've all been touched by breast cancer and laughter is still the best medicine. I think this will bring smiles and high bids everywhere it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love it Dave you should definitely do this. Definitely used and i would investigate the Komen logo thing a bit before committing to it but it sounds good. i would keep the right ones and give the left ones for auction lol. i think the whole concept of separating the cups makes a statement to me, bringing to mind the women i've known who needed specialty bras after a mastectomy. One of them turned me on to a good tailor who specialized in bras that i have used at various points in time, but that's neither here nor there. =] Do it! i probably could even find a few to donate to the cause, just let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is a great idea as well. I think you should do it and I know it would be something that everyone would put in their piece of the material for..... I know I will have some to put in for the final product. Get to work.;-}

    ReplyDelete
  6. David, as someone who recently got into quilting myself, I think it's a great idea. I would buy a variety of lightly worn bras from goodwill/savers/thrifttown and jut wash them before using them. I think the komen logo would actually be unnecessary, maybe even overkill. Instead I would indicate the purpose on the label with a paperpieced pink ribbon block. I think I've seen that one and I know I've seen a n actual bra block at sewhooked.com ... can't wait to see the finished quilt! Oh, and if you haven't already, check out http://www.fandominstitches.com/ for lots of unique patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi David! As a breast cancer survivor, I think it is a great idea! Especially if you use the pink ribbon somewhere on the quilt so that it is understood what you are doing. Don't want anyone to thing you have a weird fettish or something.... I will even go dig around and see if I still have any of my old bras before my mastectomy - unfortunately, I can't use them anymore. In fact, how awesome would it be to have more bras from more women that had to have mastectomies and hence, throw away their BC bras (I always use the term BC to refer to my life before cancer). I am hoping I can still find some of my old ones to send to you....

    The Susan Komen foundation does a great job and I bet they would love to see what you have accomplished and would probably even work with you in auctioning it off at one of their events.

    Good luck - keep us posted!!!

    Your friend,
    Debi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dave - I think this is a great idea and I agree with Debi - wouldn't it be wonderful to have the bras of those who have had breast cancer? Can't wait to see photos! Paige

    ReplyDelete
  9. This idea is very appropriate. Using gently used bras seem to me to be a celebration of women. It is also a great way to recycle gently used bras. Including the logo is of course an artistic decision. If you decide to include it I would recommend it be an applique on the back side.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ladies, Thank You!!!
    I can't tell you how your responses have affected me. What i can say is, i will be making the "Sister Quilts". That is the euphemism i have adopted to describe the project. I will be asking for donated bras to supplement the supply and i'll be writing shortly with all of the details and an address where you can send me your bras.
    Bless you all for your support and Peace Be With You, Dave

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hooray!!! I'm so glad you're going to do this. It's a wonderful project!

    ReplyDelete