Sunday, January 3, 2010

My Resolution, Resolution.

In years gone by i have been among the portion of the world that makes New Years resolutions and this year, in a sense, is no different. With that said, this year i am taking a new tack toward a direction that has tortured me for a number of years. You see the thing i forget, and many others i would imagine, is that resolutions are nothing more than goals. Goals, you know, are supposed to be trying, but attainable with an amount of effort. The amount of effort depends on just how trying you want your goal to be or rather on the depth of the lesson you are attempting to learn. On any given year i have resolved to: stop getting irritated at my children for doing stupid crap, stop getting angry at people in line at the grocery store that feel the need to hover over me in line, stop getting mad at people who do not listen and still try to answer the question, stop wanting to park my car on people that don't talk and choose to keep everything bottled up till it boils over, stop getting pissed off at people that put things off until they have to be dealt with, stop getting crazy mad when my own stuff doesn't get done because i was helping someone else... There are others like my weight, smoking, and my growth as a writer, but I'm sure you more than get the point. So, here is my new tack for today and beyond.
I'm going to resolve to be a happier person. Should i become angry over something, I'll address it and regardless of the outcome, I'll let it go. If i miss my Rosary a day or two, I'll pick it up where i laid it down. When i get the person that hovers at the grocery store, I'll remember to smile when i say, "Hey, Scoochass back." When it comes to my growth as a writer, if i can't write at home, I'll just get in my car and go to the park and do it there. I'm just not going to wait on anyone anymore and I'm going to learn the word sorry. Out of all the words i know, sorry is the one i use the least and i probably should use it a whole lot more. I say that not only as "I'm sorry, i did that", but also as "I'm sorry, but i can't help you today."
Today, i am going to start my life. Sounds funny, start my life at nearly forty five, but that is what it is. I have things that have laid fallow too long. I have an Aunt that had a tremendous impact on me i haven't seen in over fifteen years. I don't know exactly how long, but I'd sure like to see her again on this side of the grass. I missed my first novel goal by about ten years and I'm through with that eating at me. There are others, to be sure, and i will take them on the same way i do everything else. For those of you taking notes, that would be head on, one at a time, left to right, top to bottom.
I bid each of you all the blessing of a new day and those things you so richly deserve, D
P.S. My boot heels where dug in, will stay dug in.
"I would give no thought of what the world might say of me, if i could only transmit to posterity the reputation of an honest man." Sam Houston.

2 comments:

  1. I would say that is exactly what you should do. You need to do for you instead of for others like you tend to do. And yes I know this includes me. I believe deep down inside that you need to take care of you and stop always thinking of others first. You need to make you happy and the rest will either be there through it all or show their real colors and then you know you didn't really need them to begin with. love you baby,

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I've learned over the years that my loved ones are happiest when I'm happy... So - it is important (and it's okay) to do what makes you happy.

    ReplyDelete