Wednesday, January 6, 2010

It's time to start the dress.

Okay, so she's five foot ten inches. Why is this relevant you say?? Well I'll tell you. A very long time ago i made dresses and never gave a hang about the shoes that would go with them. I had this "Positive Shoe Theory". This PST worked fine for a while, but as you know all good things must come to an end. I made a wedding gown once and set my PST as the bride having a three inch heel. I'd seen her wearing such shoes more times than not and just figured that was what she would be wearing. The afternoon of her wedding i was called to the church for a "repair". A very rare occurrence, but i do make myself available on the afternoon of the event for anyone that gets an occasional gown from me. Well imagine my horror to discover that she, the bride, was wearing flats with bangles on them for both the wedding and the reception and hence made her dress a couple inches too long and she kept tripping over the damn thing. What made this really fun was one of her friends had tried to use hem tape and an iron to move the hem up and all she did was make the drape of the skirt twist. One last little detail, i had thirty five minutes to fix it or the day would be ruined. well with about six needles worth of thread and a very hot shower in the rectory, the dress turned out, though the invitees had to wait about ten minutes on the bride. She did look stunning, but again, i think all brides look stunning. There is just something about the way a woman looks that is about to get married, it's happiness, it's promise, hope, joy,... all good things in one package. So, back to Donna's shoes. If she'll settle on shoes, i'll start on the dress and i even have kind of a plan.
Well, I'm going with the empire waist and a very full skirt. It should drape a little heavy, but that seems to be in this spring, especially for her body type. I'm considering splitting two to four straps with them woven across the back and a sweet heart neckline. And, since I'm not a huge fan of sleeveless, it's probably going to get a full shawl. Both will be lined and all the trimmings, now i just have to get my butt in gear. It's for the 17th, so I'm not too worried about it. Now, the hard part of this actually turned out to be color. As i wrote previously, I'm tired of the little black dress, damn utilitarian wonder such that it is. So, i layed out the following, bone white, cream, a silvery gold, a copper, and a very pale olive. And the winner is........................BLACK!!!!! For the shawl, following black was easy, i got a gold lace and a lite gold lining and a cool little gimp for the edge. I have some lead crystal buttons that I'm going to use and I'll end up gathering the straps. All i have left is to find a gold trim for the dress, but i won't add it just for the sake of having it. It will have to work or it won't make the cut. As i get it going I'll see if i can't post a couple pics just to share.
In the meantime, be great and take care of each other, D

1 comment:

  1. Yes! You HAVE to post pictures! Can't wait to see it. Glad you added a twist of gold with the black. Sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete