Sunday, December 20, 2009

What the problem is???

I was out today at the laundry doing car towels and things, with the guys, and there was a homeless man lying on one of the benches. This guy, who looked like the fourth member of ZZ Top, was happily snoring along. I am guessing last night, having been in the twenties, he hadn't gotten much sleep. Be that as it may, it was nice and cozy warm in the laundry and Homie was sleeping well. Then the door burst open and this lady woke him up and asked him if he were homeless. He told her he was and she handed him a check. I thought, how wonderful. It's been a while since i have seen anyone really go out of their way like that. The homeless man blinked a couple of times, said thank you, and that's when the trouble started.
See, the lady had simply leaned in from the door. Since he was on the first bench, they were able to interact, though somewhat awkwardly. When she gave him the check, she was already recoiling back out the door. The whole time the homeless man was trying to thank her and explain to her that while she was very thoughtful, he wasn't able to cash a check and she should just take it back. There was this weird, angry exchange she had with him. He got very apologetic and she got very angry that her check wasn't good enough for him. The little boy that was with her, about twelve or thirteen even told her the man said he couldn't cash the check. I felt bad for them both. I mean one of them was trying to do something nice and the other was trying to be appreciative, but not have her wonder about her check. Naturally, I'm filling in the blanks here to the best of my own opinion given what i saw. It all ended with her taking the check and giving him an expletive and him lying back down to sleep.
About five or ten minutes later the parking lot security came driving up in his golf cart with, wait for it, that same good Samaritan in tow. She stood out on the sidewalk talking to the security guy for a few minutes. When i say talking, i mean it was either talking or she was showing him what great shape her arms were in. She was mad. The security guy came in and rousted the Homeless man. So ends this story.
I thought about what i had seen quite a bit this afternoon and evening. When you add it all up it's just a sad deal all the way around. I mean, would it have been so bad, if you were going to give a check to a homeless person, to walk up to them and say, "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya"?? I mean really, is an introduction so horribly bad?? I like to talk to people and i like to deal with things as they come, so I'm sure i would have introduced myself and then talked to him for a while. If he had refused my check, i don't think i would have gone to the bank for him, but i would have probably given him some cash if i had it on me. I doubt i would have gone to the ATM for him either. Of course i say that and once while i was in Chicago, i was walking around taking in the sights and met a homeless man named Stanley. Stanley was trying to sell me this beat up silk rose and at first i wasn't having any of it. I asked him if he were hungry and he said that he was and i offered him a piece of pizza in lieu of his nasty old rose. He directed me to a pizza window close by on Madison Ave and Stanley and I had pizza. While we were eating, he was telling me about all of the things going on in that area of town and that's when i found out Maya Angelou was doing an outdoor reading at the end of the block. We got another piece of pizza and off we went. Stanley left me with Maya and we shook hands, ugh, and he was gone. Stanley didn't smell too good, but was friendly enough. After Maya, i went looking for Mac Arthur Fountain, you know, the one from Married with Children. Somewhere along the way i lost my "help I'm a tourist map" and seemed to be walking in circles. I was down to three things on my todo list, the fountain, navy pier, and my cab ride down lower Wacker drive. At one point i had no idea where i was and just as i was about to give up guess who i heard giving his rose pitch in front of me. You got it, Stanley. I went and grabbed Stanley and found out that i was behind the Art Institute and he guided me to the fountain and you can see Navy Pier from there. I dug in my pocket and gave him ten bucks and a hearty thank you and i was off again, this time with a rose. You know, initially, i kept the rose because i was afraid that I'd run into Stanley and i didn't want to not have it and later i kept it cause it was such a great memory. It's in a box of stuff i have collected and it reminds me that you just never know what will happen when you take the time to talk to a person and listen to what they have to say.
While today's events were unfortunate, i just can't get over why that woman was willing to give money to a homeless man and then turn right around and report his loitering to the security guy. Especially since someone wasn't listening to what was being said. The next time around, I hope she meets a Stanley. I bet she'll end up with a tattered silk rose of her own.
Take care of Y'all, D

1 comment:

  1. I can't figure the woman out.... Yes, nice of her to want to give him a check, but why would she every think, to begin with, that a homeless person could mostly likely NOT cash a check. I don't get her motive in ratting him out to security.

    Good story about Stanley. I'm one of those people that give money to the folks on the street corners. Not 100% of the time, but I get this gut feeling when I'm supposed to. Why not, you know?

    ReplyDelete