Sunday, January 25, 2009

The "W's" of my Sewing Part I

Though many of my friends already know the answer to this, i was asked recently what it is that i sew. I guess that's a fair question. I will say this, it's not the usual question. That one would be how i got started sewing. Lastly, there's the why I do it. I'll attempt to answer all three of these the best i can. Sometimes the organization of my thoughts goes a bit far afield and for that i'll apologize in advance. (((On a side note, when i write like this, I usually give the writer the day off, so if my English isn't "spot on" again I apologize))) Now, for the why:
First and foremost i'd say i sew because i love it. There is something about the steps to sewing that feeds my natural attraction to puzzles and problem solving. There are those close to me that swear i am a bit on the "nit picky" side. Perhaps, this means i'm a bit meticulous also, but the important thing is that i love it and if you find something you love you should give it everything you have. Take my wife for instance. I know it sounds like a bad Henny Youngman joke, but seventy percent of her closet is handmade. About half of this is what she wears to work, week in and week out. I can tell if she likes something, it ends up in the laundry weekly. The things she likes she wears out. Like this little dress I made her last spring. It's time to replace it with something just as eezy breezy.

I've made tons of fabric bowls. Here's the one i made her for her desk at work this past Christmas Season. It was the first time i'd ever made a square one, well a square one with sides that were that steep. It was a challenge to get that stitched together, but she loved the end result. Ya know, i think that's what counts the most.

Recently, i made some throw pillows out of otter and elk. The truth be told, the otter was kind of gross. It was greasy and i really had to clean my machine afterward, but the pillows turned out great I thought, and the lady I made them for seemed pleased. Yeah, i forgot, there was rabbit used on these as well. I hope you enjoy what I was going after.











These skins held some sentimental value for the owner and that's pretty much what she wanted.

There are so many things i make and have made, this post could ramble on for days. Some of the things i have made i just couldn't show in this forum. Feel free to fill in the blanks anyway you want as they'll most all be true. French Maid, Belly Dancer, and what would the fetish world be without the Catholic School Girl?? Funny story i may write down sometime. I made Donna one for work last year at Halloween and took everything even remotely sexual out of it. I loved it, but the guys at her work said i was just wrong. Some people have no sense of humor.
To Be Continued... D

No comments:

Post a Comment