Monday, January 24, 2011

All the Worlds a Stage and i've got the drapes to prove it.

Okay, so i got the drapes mostly done and hung up. Sometimes it pains me to be such a green fanatic, but we all have to be something.

The picture to the left, save for the kid shoes and my son's shot put, is of the Theatre Drape i made for our French doors. I wanted something heavy to help cut the cold from the door. It's not entirely finished, but this is pretty much what it's going to look like. You'll see in the last picture, i made the drape to cover the entire span of that wall. I'd rather have this big mysterious curtain than small strips of white wall on either side, especially given that they'd be narrower than the white space above the drape. It just made sense to me. I still need to get some weights and magnets to make it do as i wish, but i left pockets for those. If you look closely, it looks as though the ends are lower than the center. I assure you, this is an optical hallucination. The weights will lift the lip at the top and that will self correct. The one thing i didn't count on was the placement of the door. The door is actually four inches to the left of center. This means i'll have to move the center support for the rod to get the gathers to bunch right.
As i said in my previous post, i really didn't have enough material for what i wanted to do, but i did my best to use what i had. I couldn't exactly make this drape puddle, but i did make it drag the floor. Right now it looks as though i don't know how to hem, but once i add the weight and so on, this will also self correct.


I haven't decided whether i'm going to gather them in the middle or from the sides. So, for now, i can live with the way they look. Boy, i was really rationing material on this one, but i think it turned out alright.
You can see what i am talking about, when i said i don't know whether to gather them in the middle or from the side in the next picture. If you have an opinion on this, Please, do share.
I'm really leaning on gathering in the middle with a couple of ties that are looser than the piece i have tied on there. The tie will probably be a purple color which will make me gee-gaw up the rest of it with a splash of purple here and there. I say purple, probably a pastel or drabby lavender color. Just something different.
Here is the door. See, it's totally off to one side. Eh, well, we play the cards we are dealt.
On a brighter note, they fixed my oven. (woo hoo) or so i thought. It is either at 275 or 450. Some choice. I'm tired of dealing with the stove and i think i'm going to just buy one and tell them to come store theirs.
Well, i'm not too much into the writing mood right now, i have a movie to watch. So, if you have any ideas or comments, feel free to leave me any thought you like.
Until the next time i post, may peace and happiness be the order of the day,
Dave
P.S. Wouldn't an alphabet table look great in place of that cedar chest??

7 comments:

  1. I like them tied in the middle. Looks like you did an awesome job. I'm not too surprised by that. Looks like it could be shaping up to be home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great, I like tied in the middle too...
    What's an alphabet table?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job, Dave! Love it. Also like it tied in the middle. Seems to be a theme going on here...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, i have to admit that i was leaning to tying them in the middle. I hit the floor with some mop and glow today and discovered that the green drape will hide behind the gold quite dandy. I mean it should, but i hadn't considered doing it. Oh Well. Now i'm just waiting on the snow that we are expecting tomorrow night. Thanks Ladies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the tie in the middle with a drab-lavender would be very nice. I can't wait to see the final effect once you have the weights and magnets in place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! An alphabet table would be a better height, and it would be more convenient for dropping your keys, the mail, whatever, when you come in the door. Going to an auction this weekend ... there should be some additional alphabet table prospects there so never fear ...

    If you get yourself to the All 80s Reunion this summer, I'll bring it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAHAHAHA!!! I was wondering if you were ever going to pick up that Easter Egg i left for you Painted Groove Girl. Thanks, that made my day. As a matter of fact, we are going to be there for the reunion. We are booked, uh, somewhere there for the 2-4 or 5. And if you schlep it to town for me, i'll bring you something horrid that you can regift or something.

    ReplyDelete