Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Just like the Chicks, i'm not ready to make nice


Well, here i am. I'm back from Alpine for nearly a week and i still haven't cleaned the trash out of the Trooper yet. It occurs to me that I'm a self centered, petty, miserable little turd that spends every waking moment in the pursuit of that which i am entitled. In other words, I'm a jerk that spends all day dreaming up ways to get the stuff he wants without having to earn it, or to that effect. Be that as it may, i gave up everything i had going on for six weeks this summer to go to Alpine and fix several maintenance issues with my mother's house. That six weeks turned out to be akin to that all you can eat stew in the Huey Lewis song, "I Wanna New Drug". It was 1.99 and one dollars worth was all that he could stand. Conversely, three weeks was all i could hack. In the hopes that this won't turn out to be a Stump, I'll just cover a few things that i feel i want to share and then I'll be on my merry way.

Many of you have known me for all practical purposes all of my life or the vast majority of it thus far. I have a tremendous memory and remember little bits of "nostalgia" on all of you. I'm betting that all of you that have known me since childhood remember that I went to school with one name for years and then suddenly in High School it changed to what it is today. I also bet that no two of you would have the same reason for the change. Well, I'm about to dish it and at 44 i really don't think it means a whole hell of a lot, it's just something i want out there. I've been the red headed step child long enough. It's really quite simple. I was born in April and mom got married in August. See, now wasn't that easy?? The only thing is and it's horribly obvious to everyone, I'm not his. However, there was a thirty year benefit to that. When i was a boy they got my SS Card with his last name. I carried that card through three enlistments and four weddings and didn't have a problem until the Department of Homeland Security was created. Let me tell you how it worked to get the name changed on the card for me. See, suddenly i had to change the name on the card because i was no longer eligible to work in the ole US of A. Fact!!! It took from some time in 2003 until April of 2008 to get someone who understood rural West Texas and how something like this could have happened. As fate would have it, our taxes came up for SS verification and i had to go down to the local SS office and get this standard form that said yes, he has to pay taxes and yes he's a citizen. I was almost hoping to get deported. Well, i noticed the subtle nuances we used in the desert coming from the beer bellied clerk behind the glass.

To make a long story short, he was from Wink and he knew exactly how it happened and he gave me a new SS Card. It all happened just that fast.

Later, when i was sharing the story with my mother all she could find to say was, "that's good he should have helped you."

This is like the eighth blog i have written since i returned from Alpine and i doubt I'll publish any of those, they are just too mean spirited. A famous man once said, say what you want to me, but don't mess with my kids! oh wait! That was me.

Anyway, I hope you are all doing well and for those of you still wondering if everything we have plugs in, nope, we found something. Our eye glasses seem to be cordless...

Dave

1 comment:

  1. First of all, post the mean sprited stuff.... Secondly, I'm confused on the man from Wink and your mom's comment. Okay, I'll read again and figure it out.

    ReplyDelete